My Fatherland - Audrey Chuks





I've been enslaved in my country, my very birthplace, my own home,
The place I grew up to know and call my own,
I've been left to rot and tied chains in my fatherland,
For I dare not speak, I dare not talk or cuffs shall be on my hand.


Politicians who careless of the masses,
We've become sick, not of HIV or Ebola,
But of a country who's dignity has been turned into ashes,
We lament and we mourn, for what they have done.


Our Arm Forces who are paid to protect,
Have turned their backs and now the citizens they molest,
I must speak the truth, but quiet I must remain,
Or for a lifetime I'll be detained.


For our fight for truth has only led us to our place of doom,
What was once happiness and rejoicing is now a place of gloom,
For in pain and regret we suffer,
You've left your children to die, oh what a mother!




Our leaders have set us up and to foreign countries they disappear,
We can see our destruction for the sounds of war we hear,
Brother against brother, community against community,
My home has turned into a place void of humanity.


We live in fear and our people have become desolate,
Our history of greatness soon to become obsolete,
For my place of birth has lost her worth,
And it's leaders we can't trust.


We've been swallowed up by corruption,
And every promise of hope was a disguise for our destruction.
It's every man for himself, but that's selfishness,
We keep falling into the same mistake and these are just acts of foolishness.


This is not the country of my dreams,
But I'll work to make it my wish,

FOR THIS IS MY FATHERLAND.


- Audrey Chuks

Post a Comment

0 Comments